Department Staff Information
757-678-0443 ext. 541
757-678-0445 ext. 525
757-678-0445 ext. 542
Northampton County Administration
PO Box 66
16404 Courthouse Road
Eastville, VA 23347
Hours of Operation
9 AM - 5 PM
Board of Supervisors Building Department Code Compliance Commissioner of the Revenue County Administration Courts Economic Development Emergency Services Finance Department Information Technology Parks & Recreation Planning & Zoning Public Works School Board Sheriff's Office Social Services Solid Waste Treasurer Voter Registration and Elections
The Building Department endeavors to provide quality building inspections for new construction and alterations to existing buildings in a timely manner. Generally county inspectors are able to respond to inspection requests within two business days. Call (757) 678-0445 to schedule an inspection [24 hours a day].
Inspections are required for all work regulated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, which can be downloaded from www.vbcoa.org.
Typically, the following inspections are required for new construction and alterations, where applicable.
- Footings –After footing has been excavated, any forms and steps constructed, all reinforcement installed and grade pins set, before concrete is poured. County soils policy requires re-bar in footings.
- Foundation Walls – Before structure is placed on foundation - after anchor bolts and vents set.
- Slabs – All floor slabs, after sub grade is prepared and reinforcement placed, before slab is poured.
- Rough-in plumbing – All piping shall be tested with air or water and be free of leaks.
- Rough-in gas – All piping shall be tested with air and be free of leaks.
- Rough-in electric – Before concealment - Call (757) 665-6260
- Framing –After: rough plumbing, mechanical and electric inspection, masonry - including masonry fire places, all framing, firestopping are complete - before any framing is concealed.
- Insulation – before covering insulation
- FINALS - ELECTRIC, MECHANICAL, PLUMBING AND BUILDING INSPECTION REQUIRED FOR ALL PERMITS